Friday, November 5, 2010

Manicure, Pedicure...Insecure

Last night should've been fun, but it wasn't, not really. The problem was that I was pretending to be something I'm not. I'm just not a spa-mani-pedi gal. In fact, I've actually never had either a mani or a pedi! I know, the horrors. But it's just not my thing. However, did that stop me from saying yes when my fun new friend (the one who had the Oktoberfest party and also goes out every weekend even though she has three kids under five) invited me to a wine and nails event she was organizing at a local salon? It did not. After all, I might not be into the "nails" part but I certainly can get on board with the "wine" part!

I felt awkward from the moment I walked in. I didn't know many of the ladies there but yet they all seemed to be buddy-buddy. Everyone lived in Priusville, no doubt. Never having had a mani or pedi, I didn't know what I was supposed to do or what was going to happen. So I kinda just observed and made chit-chat and drank wine. I spent way too long picking out my polish color (there were about a million colors to choose from...I went with Rock Star Skinny for the name alone) and then all the chairs & manicurists were taken. So I had to make more chit-chat with the other ladies waiting for a spot to open.

It was sort of painful; everyone was nice but the whole thing had a cliquey/sorority-ish vibe, which was  just blech. I wanted to leave but it was way too soon. Then the conversation turned to some event taking place next week where formal dress is required and mani-pedis are therefore essential. I had no idea what they were talking about: something to do with a fund for education or some such. See, I don't live in their town so I don't know what's going on.

As I was standing there not talking, washing down chocolate-covered pretzels with Chardonnay, I asked myself, Why am I trying to be friends with these people? Because if we're not going to move (and I'm starting to think we won't) then I shouldn't even bother. If we're staying where we are, in a school district that's different from these mani-pedi moms, then my kids won't be in school with their kids, our kids won't be friends, and realistically, these moms won't stay my friends. So why bother?

I should've stayed home and watched 30 Rock instead.

1 comment:

  1. you missed an opening gag on 30 Rock that you would've loved!!! at least it's DVR'd.

    ReplyDelete