Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lady Madonna

Last night, I caught a bit of the HBO special, "Lady Gaga Presents the Monster Ball Tour: At Madison Square Garden." As I was watching, I realized I used to sing along with Gaga and watch her bump & grind 25 years ago--back when she went by the name "Madonna."

First, let me just say that I don't know lots about Gaga: The only songs I know are the ones I hear on the car radio (yes, I still listen to radio, I'm old school like that), and while I've watched a number of her performances on TV, I've never seen her live.

And while I was bombarded with Madonna during my formative years, I've never purchased one of her albums or seen her live, either. But I've certainly heard her songs countless times, seen her videos over and over, and watched her perform on TV enough to be familiar with her repertoire.

I'm familiar enough with both artists to know I'm onto something. I'm aware people have been comparing the two performers since Gaga first came on the scene (like in this SNL skit from 2009), but at that time, it was mainly their images that were similar. Well, Lady Gaga sure has been ramping things up since then.

A few months ago I was listening to Gaga's brand new single, "Born This Way," and found myself humming along. How the heck did I know the melody when I'd never even heard the song before? Then, just as the chorus was about to come in, I started singing, "Express yourself! (You've got to make him) express himself, hey, hey, hey, hey."

Turns out it's the exact same song.

And it doesn't just stop there. Gaga's "Alejandro" and "La Isla Bonita" are extremely similar (with a little of ABBA's "Fernando" thrown in as well). What I can't figure out is why Madonna isn't suing her.



It's not just the music, either. Here are other things Lady Gaga has in common with Madonna: studded cone bra, dance moves, black leotard-esque get-ups, black fishnets, bleached hair, religious imagery (Judas, Mary, Jesus), an Italian heritage, gay dancers with whom she simulates sex, and even a similar way of warming up the crowd by sharing personal stories about her outcast days. It just goes on and on!

Here's how they're different: Lady Gaga can actually sing and play the piano! But Madonna was a better dancer and had more interesting boyfriends.

I enjoy listening to Lady Gaga now and then, I really do, but at this point, I always end up comparing her to Madonna and trying to figure out what melody, lyric, or dance move she stole from her this time. And that's too bad, because while I suspect Lady Gaga might actually be more talented than Madonna, she'll just always be a copy-cat to me.

1 comment:

  1. I heard La Isla Bonita in the deli this morning. Wonder if i'll hear Gaga in the deli 25 years from now?
    More importantly, I wonder if there will still be delis in 2037? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete