Sunday, December 4, 2011

"Everyone Is the Age of Their Heart." - Guatemalan Proverb

Ha-ha-ha, what a lie....

I think I might be having a mid-life crisis. All I know for sure is that I've been struggling lately, and I decided putting my thoughts and feelings down in words might help me sort it out. So please bear with me.

I've been feeling really nostalgic lately--not the good kind when you fondly remember past fun times, but the yucky kind when you feel not quite present in the present (if that makes any sense). I'm not nostalgic for any particular time or place or person, but rather I miss the way I used to be and feel and relate to the world.

Ahhh, those were the good ol' days. Too bad I didn't
appreciate it. "Youth is wasted on the young" as they say.
When I was younger, the way I looked played a big part in how I related to people--especially men, of course. A young woman's allure can be a useful and powerful thing. I wasn't one of those who used her looks to unfairly take advantage of a situation (unless the guy was a jerk and deserved it) but I certainly enjoyed the attention my appearance got me over the years. So shoot me. And there is no doubt a woman's allure can open doors.

Because the way I was treated was partially due to my appearance, of course how I looked became a significant part of my identity (as it does for most people, whether they admit it or not).

Now that I'm getting older, I feel myself teetering on the precipice of undesirable and this leaves me feeling a bit rudderless. While an older woman can "look good for her age," (and there's always that crushing "for her age" added on at the end) she will never again be a hot, young girl. An older woman is more experienced and (hopefully) wiser than her younger counterpart--and this is certainly something to celebrate--but it doesn't change the fact that she is no longer viewed as desirable by the world in general. And that sucks.

Nowadays when I walk past a construction site, I bristle in anticipation of the cat-call, but when it doesn't come, instead of feeling relieved I'm deflated. Life is more boring this way.

The questions I ask myself are these: What is my identity now? How do others see me (and do I really want to know)? What's my role in this world supposed to be? Yes, I'm a wife, mother, daughter, sister, etc., but who am I deep down inside?

All I know is, the girl I once was is no more and I miss her, hot mess that she was.

Does everyone have such problems as they age, or am I just vainer than most? My guess is it's about 50/50. Maybe it's especially difficult right now because it's only recently that I've started feeling, well, not old exactly...just not young anymore. Maybe, instead of getting worse as I age, I'll get used to feeling this way and it won't bother me as much?

I certainly hope so.

3 comments:

  1. This line made me chuckle and get a little choked up, all at once: "All I know is, the girl I once was is no more and I miss her, hot mess that she was."

    I relate to a lot of what you're saying. I feel the same way, more often than I'd like to admit. More and more, I find myself wanting to give some sort of disclaimer to new friends/acquaintances, to tell them "Even though now I'm just kinda shlubby, I used to be hot stuff before illnesses and motherhood and age got in the way." *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, Justine, let me say that I've never seen you and thought "shlubby". You are beautiful.

    I'm much harder on myself; that is, I don't judge others based on their apparent age. I just judge myself.

    Thank you for letting me know you often feel the same way--that is a comfort. Nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, Thanks for the lovely compliment but I should say that I never feel shlubbier than at drop-off or pick-up, when i feel like I'm the biggest, messiest mom in town! Seriously, you and the other moms are so slender and pretty and put-together; I'm practically still in my PJ's. Guess we all judge ourselves the hardest :-(

    ReplyDelete