Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm Still Alive...Just Breathe






One day last week I was in my car listening to our excellent local, independent radio station (shout out to 107.1 The Peak!) when Pearl Jam’s newish song, “Just Breathe” came on. Listening to this pretty song got me thinking about Pearl Jam’s impressive catalogue of songs and their longevity--I (and my fellow Gen Xers) practically grew up on them. 

Despite this, the rock band that has come to define Gen X is Nirvana; along with a handful of other Seattle bands (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Mudhoney to name a few), they ushered in the Grunge era and gave voice to the alienation and insecurity of their generation. Nirvana’s music and lyrics certainly did capture the “what the hell am I doing with my life” feeling most of us had in the early 90s, but I have to argue that, because Kurt Cobain killed himself in 1994 (when he was only 27), thus ending Nirvana’s reign as the voice of Gen X, they shouldn’t be our defining rock band. Because, unlike the rest of us, Nirvana never had to grow up. Sure, Dave G. and Krist N. have aged, moved on, and even started families, but that doesn't count, because we didn't get to see how Nirvana would’ve handled the death of Grunge, Napster, ITunes, or the rise of the horrendous boy band era. Kurt Cobain never had to cope with turning forty. I wonder, if he was still alive, if his daughter Frances Bean would hate him, too.

To me, the band that best defines Gen X is Pearl Jam. Though Eddie Vedder wasn’t as tortured as Kurt Cobain, both bands were Grunge, both came out of Seattle, both wore plaid shirts. Pearl Jam even had a cameo in the classic slacker film, Singles; that’s about as Gen X as you get. The difference is that the members of Pearl Jam have grown older together, have had to change with the times, and are still putting out decent, relevant music. In the 90's, they even challenged the increased corporatization of rock-n-roll by boycotting Ticketmaster and selling tickets to their live shows themselves. 

As I listened to the words of “Just Breathe” it became clear just how “mature” Pearl Jam has become. I’m not a schmaltzy person by nature but I found myself almost getting choked up: Yes, I understand that every life must end, aw-huh. As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, aw-huh. Oh, I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love. Some folks just have one, others, they've got none, uh-huh.  In his twenties, Eddie Vedder was singing about being alive; now, like the rest of us Gen Xers, he's coming to terms with the fact that his life is probably more than half over. His voice is deeper and more gravelly than it was twenty years ago. He sounds like a man who has been through hard times and has learned from his mistakes...a man who realizes one's worth is best measured by the amount of love--not money--in one's life.



2 comments:

  1. Okay, I've been meaning to comment on this one for a while, but apparently some remnants of my Gen X slacker ways remain. Actually it's more likely because I have become the workaholic my father was, and that I swore I would never be. So it was on a usual busy work day that I finally stopped at 3:30 to get lunch at a roadside snack bar in Stowe. While waiting for my order, I began reading your blog post on my iPhone, when Nirvana's "Come As You Are" began blasting out of the snack bar. It was as if you had awakened the tortured soul of Kurt Cobain. While I agree that Pearl Jam is the more influential band of our generation, "Nevermind" is without question the landmark album. It's not a great album, but I remember when I first heard it, and I HAD to buy it, and listen to it over and over again. And I haven't listened to it much since. It was a musical exorcism.

    Back to Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe." I have to admit that when I hear it it reminds me of Neil Diamond. Can't put my finger on what Neil Diamond song exactly, but there's definitely a Neil Diamond vibe to it, and to Eddie's voice in particular. I guess as we head into our 40's, we're all growing a little bit more Neil Diamond. Even that edgy icon, Eddie Vedder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan: brilliant.

    Someone posed a funny question: What was the film or book you saw or read as a teenager that you felt to be life-changing, but when you watched it as an adult you realized it is absolutely corny and ridiculous?

    My answer: Nevermind.

    ReplyDelete