Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's Called "March Madness" Because the People Who Watch It Are Insane

I just need to rant a little bit about the insanity called "March Madness." Okay, so the "March" part is clear, but "Madness?" The only reason it could be called that is because the people who live and breathe college basketball this month are CRAAAAZY. Cuz if you ask me, it's a colossal snorefest.

The bottom line is that I just don't get it: Why are so many people who were actually last in college during the Ford administration watching a bunch of kids play ball who've probably never even heard of Gerald Ford?

Every year this question occurs to me, but since my husband is not a basketball fan and doesn't force me to watch the tournament, I've not had reason to really ponder it. But this year, we happened to spend a March weekend at my in-laws' house, and because my mother-in-law is a basketball fan and an even bigger March Madness fan, we ended up watching a lot of college b-ball that weekend. (Or, in my case, staring a lot at the wall just above the TV set.)

So I asked my m-i-l, "What is it that you love so much about watching non-professional players who are more than 40 years your junior and who attend colleges you have no affiliation with compete against each other?"

"I like watching good plays."

Really? Is it that simple? No, it can't be...not for most people. I mean, back in the 80s when I was a youngun, I went through a massive basketball phase, watching every Celtics game I could. Back then, NBA basketball was still fast-paced and entertaining--full of good plays!--but despite my love of the game, I didn't watch March Madness. Nor did I watch it when I was actually in college and went to lots of games because I was friends with many of my university team's basketball players.

I guess it just wasn't as big a deal back then? Though according to Wikipedia, the tournament's been happening since 1939.

So, please, can someone explain it to me? Why do so many people suddenly care about colleges they've hardly heard of before, like Butler and Gonzaga and VCU? Why? Why?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like someone lost 10 bucks in the office pool...

    ReplyDelete