Friday, September 17, 2010

The Cult Is Back! (but don't try to find 'em on ITunes)

I heard a Cult song on the radio today. I'm not sure what song it was, but it sounded newish. It got me wondering what The Cult are up to these days. I sort of remembered an album coming out a few years ago (Born Into This), but I didn't hear much about it at the time. The single from the album, "Dirty Little Rockstar," got some radio play, but after that...nothing.

"She Sells Sanctuary" is one of the top ten best songs of the 1980's, for sure. Maybe one of the top 20 songs EVER. It's just...ahhhh, perfection. Ian Astbury has an incredibly distinctive and powerful voice. And then there's that hair. "She Sells Sanctuary" was released in the U.S. in 1985. When you think about the kind of songs on the charts then (Corey Hart's "Never Surrender" and Survivor's "High on You" were two of the year's biggest hits), it's not surprising that The Cult attracted rabid fans.

So after hearing the (new?) song on the radio today, I looked into what The Cult are doing these days. It turns out that on September 14th, they released an EP-type album that they're calling a "Capsule." It's called Capsule One, and you can purchase it here, but if you just want to buy the single called "Every Man and Woman Is a Star" you are out of luck. I read that it was available on ITunes and tried to check it out, but when I was rerouted to ITunes, I got this message: "The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." What kind of b.s. is that?

The song sounds pretty good. Here's an (amateur) video of The Cult performing it on tour in Europe this summer, so you can check it out for yourselves. I'm not sure if I want to fork over $12.99 for the measly five songs on Capsule One but I'd definitely be willing to shell out a couple bucks for the single. What's up with the U.S. being shut out?

No comments:

Post a Comment