Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hollywood Goes Overboard

Footloose, Overboard, Ghostbusters, Tron, Arthur...no, this isn't a list of movies you cut school to see back in high school. It's the flicks you can look forward to seeing displayed at your local marquee over the next couple of years. (True Fact: I saw Footloose on my first date ever, freshman year.)

I get it. Hollywood has always tried to make a buck however it can. And it's not like I didn't see my share of remakes when I was a youngster. Three Men and a Baby, Dangerous Liaisons, Little Shop of Horrors, and The Fly were all successful 80's remakes of earlier films.

Not all these remakes sound horrendous. Arthur, with Russell Brand and Helen Mirren replacing Dudley Moore and John Gielgud actually looks promising (but then again, Dudley Moore always freaked me out). But Overboard?! With J.Lo instead of Goldie Hawn?! I'd rather watch Charlie St. Cloud ten times in a row.

The thing that scares me most is that you know the Hollywood bigwigs are tossing around ideas for an E.T remake. I'm sure it would be a grand spectacle with tremendous special effects but, oh, gee, that's not something I want to see. The beauty of the original was it's complete low-techiness. Hopefully, even greedy movie honchos know when to leave well enough alone. Because, seriously, what would "Phone home" in the remake be, "Skype home"?

No comments:

Post a Comment