Monday, September 20, 2010

My Thoughts Upon Hearing That There Might Be a New "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" Movie

I don't remember when I first laid eyes on Keanu Reeves. I know his first big role was in River's Edge (1986), and while I've definitely seen that movie, there's no way I was cool enough in 1986 to have seen such a dark flick. Sixteen Candles was more my speed. Therefore, my introduction to Keanu must've been Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989). That one I definitely saw in the theater. I remember laughing so freaking hard at the parts about "Sew-Crates;" I was taking a philosophy class in school at the time so the contrast between the real Socrates and the comedic Hollywood version was absolutely hysterical to me. It's also possible that some smuggled-in booze may have added to the hilarity.

But the main reason I thought Bill & Ted was the best movie EVER was because I fell in love with Keanu Reeves. I mean, seriously, he was the most beautiful boy I'd ever seen. By far.

Two years later Point Break came out, with a more mature, muscled, and even handsomer Keanu. It was summer, 1991, and I was spending it in Missoula, Montana--hiking, swimming in rivers, camping at Glacier Park, and drinking and partying with the locals. The renegade spirit of the movie spoke to me, since I was having my own incredible adventure, freer than I'd ever felt. When Cop Keanu catches a wave for the first time and then gets sucked into the surf punk scene, he starts questioning everything he'd worked to achieve. Which is exactly what I was doing in Missoula. Up to that point in my life, I'd been the perfect daughter: well-behaved, straight A's, Ivy League college. I was in Montana trying to figure out what I wanted from life and what was important to me. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but Keanu Reeves's character spoke to me.

Unfortunately, my love affair with Mr. Reeves didn't last. My Own Private Idaho was interesting, but then Speed, Johnny Mnemonic, and Chain Reaction came along. I fell out of love. By the time Matrix was released in 1999, I was so over him that I didn't even see it.

Now I hear a third Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure might be made. Here's a link with the details. I say bring it on. I could use a little Ted Logan in my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment