Saturday, September 11, 2010

George Michael's "Faith" Is Being Reissued (the bathroom jokes may now commence)

On September 27th, Sony Music is reissuing a remastered version of George Michael's 1987 album, Faith, in the U.K. Various formats will be offered, including a Limited Edition Collectors box set.

Are you rejoicing over this news or laughing your butt off? George Michael tends to provoke extreme reactions in people. The man has sold millions of records--he obviously has his followers--but there are few artists out there who provoke as much ridicule as Andrew Ridgeley's former bandmate.

George Michael gets a bad rap. Sure, in some ways he deserves it. How many times was he caught propositioning men in public bathrooms, again? Then there were a couple of DUIs and drug arrests, I think. (I didn't look up his record so I'm not sure about the actual charges...but it's not the point of this post anyway.)

The bad rap I'm talking about is regarding his musicianship. People have always made fun of George Michael. Yes, Wham! was lame; yes, he sported that awful five o'clock shadow 24/7; and yes, he was often decked out head-to-toe in black leather. But let's give credit where credit is due: the man has one of the best voices out there. Ever. 

I've never bought or owned anything by George Michael but despite that, his music made up a significant part of the soundtrack to my adolescence. "I Want Your Sex," "Faith," and "Father Figure" are the three best-known singles from Faith. I remember riding in my friend's convertible in the summer of '87 with the top down, singing along to "I Want Your Sex," (not that either of us had had any yet). It was our last hurrah before starting college. A few months later, I was sweating along to "Faith" in an aerobics class offered through my college. The following winter, "Father Figure" was released, and to this day, whenever I hear that song, those dark, dreary, and depressing days come back to me. 

Despite not really caring for pop/R&B music in general, and not thinking much about George Michael specifically, I find myself always defending him to the haters--his voice, his songs, and even his character. His music is just too much a part of the girl I used to be. How could I not love it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment